Last week Pete and I worked feverishly on the bathroom to try to get it finished. We had to at least have a working bathroom by last Friday because we were having houseguests for the weekend, and I was also hosting a small gathering of high school friends in preparation for a junior high school reunion the following night.
We were up until about 1 a.m. on Wednesday night. Besides drywall mudding and sanding, Pete worked on the electrical and we had to reattach the toilet and sink. He had some problems with leaks while reconnecting the sink so that set us back a few hours.
On Thursday Pete worked a partial day, and pretty much spent the rest of the day sanding. (I owe him big time!) Unfortunately there were some areas that still needed to be smoothed with joint compound and then sanded, so as hard as we tried the room was not going to be painted in time for my party.
We had someone come in to dust and vacuum the house—between the bathroom remodel and fireplace demo there was dust pretty much on every surface in the house. While she did that I spent the day cleaning up clutter and getting ready for our guests.
In addition to prepping food, I spent Friday trying to make the bathroom look as presentable as possible sans paint job. I scrubbed the floor, cleaned the sink, bathtub and toilet and mounted a new towel ring and toilet paper holder.
I bought new, dark gray hand towels, a bath mat and a rug to cover the crack in the floor. (I was so overloaded with blue and yellow in that room for eight years that all I want in there are calming neutrals!) I even hung a black-and-white photo. I felt like I was on an HGTV show where the designer is putting the finishing touches on the home before the owners return and the doorbell rings. It was definitely down to the wire, but despite the rustic-ness of the walls it cleaned up rather well.
I used the shower curtain I saved from our bathroom at the previous house — its neutrals work well with the brick and floor. I still plan to add a semi-frameless shower screen, but this will look fine until then.
Unfortunately I don’t have any other in-progress photos to show as I was a bit stressed and didn’t think about taking any. In any case the tub area is tiled, grouted and caulked; the shower was used and is functional. Once the room is painted we can concentrate on the slate tub surround, have the tub refinished and hopefully be pretty much done with it.
I can’t wait to have a nice, long soak in the tub.