Yep, all that’s left is the white “crime scene” outline of the stone monster. Pretty apropos, I’d say.
I’m happy to say that I demo’d probably 95% of this thing myself. I did as much as I could on Saturday while Pete was at work, and then on Sunday I continued with it while Pete did some clean-up in the bathroom. It took a LOT of vacuuming with the Shop-Vac — there was a ton of concrete chunks and debris.
I didn’t think I’d be able to remove the hearth pieces myself but chiseling the cement underneath would release the bond to the stone and they lifted up pretty easily from there.
There was a wire mesh on the cement board to hold the stone and that was probably the biggest pain and mess. There were nails holding the mesh to the cement board and they were difficult to access because of the mesh and cement pieces. I had to get the mesh off in order to access the screws that were then holding the cement board to the framing.
By the end of the day Saturday I had removed all the stones from the lower section of the fireplace. Once I removed the cement board from the left hand section I could get the camera in there to see what lay within: lots of dust and a peeling baseboard radiator (I knew that was there but not how badly it was peeling).
The other unknown was the condition of the hardwood floor. You can see the contour from the stone below, which is less noticeable once I dusted the floor. From across the room you can barely see the difference even though we refinished the exposed part of the floor before we first moved in.
Once I cleaned it up the girls had some fun exploring and playing hide-and-seek.
On Sunday morning we were able to remove the hearth framing. It was held to the floor with about 5 screws, and you really have to look to see them in the hardwood.
Next we laid drop cloths and plywood to protect the floor for the upper section.
Getting the first stone out at the ceiling was the hardest part, and most of the remaining stones were barely held in place!
In no time at all, they were all down!
Again, it was a REAL mess to get that wire mesh off, but from there it was just a matter of finding all the screws holding the framing together.
I’ve already been trying out new furniture arrangements. This was one of the early tries, but the wing chair didn’t stay there long.
I cannot tell you how huge the living room feels!
I might do some swaps with things from other rooms, and of course the house needs to be thoroughly cleaned with all the dust that has been flying around recently.
I’ll also be taking some time to contemplate how I want to proceed with the fireplace. For now, I’m totally happy with it the way it is!