A blog about the restoration, remodel and renovation of a 1929 Chicago-style brick bungalow

Closing the Door on Dirty Laundry

We can finally cross the laundry room door off our To-Do List/2015 Goals, and it’s only January 15th!

This is another one of my Re-use/Re-purpose projects. The door was the original exterior door to the basement.

2014011501

When we did the attic remodel in 2009, our contractor used a metal door that he had from another project at the top of the attic stairs to try to keep dust down. It was dirty and banged up a bit and he was going to toss it when he was finished. It was the right size for our basement and Pete thought it’d be a bit more secure, so we took it and replaced the wood door.

Like everything else in this house when we first moved in, the basement door was painted white, several times, and chipping and peeling everywhere. So waaaaay back in summer of 2010, we stripped it.

2015011508

One of the wood panel inserts was cracked, but I wanted to replace them with glass anyway. Pete routed out the panels and patched up cracks and plugged the hole from the dead bolt.

2015011509

That’s about as far as we got for apparently several years (sheesh, how time flies!). Our trim guy fitted and hung the door back in 2012, and down to the basement it went to sit on work horses. And sit…

2015011510

Pete would work on it a little here and there, and last fall I finally finished stripping the decorative trim that framed each panel. Pete had to cut out one side of the trim to remove the panels, so we bought glass bead trim to frame that side once the glass was installed.

FINALLY, we were ready to paint! I wanted to do a slate blue color that goes well with the Marmoleum tile. I chose Benjamin Moore’s Montpelier (AF-555) and realized as I was painting that it was a lot like the basement gray color! Of course Montpelier sounds a lot better than “Basement Gray”.

2014011502

I really wanted to use ribbed textured glass panels, but we needed thick pieces and the glass place said it would have to be tempered glass which would greatly increase the cost. Since this was a “free” repurpose project, it didn’t make sense to pay as much for glass as a new door would cost so we went with translucent white glass.

2014011503

Over the past few days we put the finishing touches on the door, installing the glass panels with glazing putty and cutting and tacking in the glass bead trim.

2014011504

2014011505

Last night we hung the door (after a panicky search for the door hinge plates)!

2014011506

2014011507

Now that it’s finally done I’m motivated to repaint the master bathroom, another small project that’s been on my to-do list for several years. The door project was also one of the things I wanted to finish, along with cleaning up and re-organizing the basement, in order to move the litter box back downstairs. Romy and Lena have not been allowed down there because of what they might get into, and they’ve been dying to know what we’ve been up to!

3 Comments

  1. Morgan Culture on January 15, 2015 at 11:39 am

    This looks great! The trim around the glass looks like it’s always been there. We’re refinishing a door as well and hadn’t even considered glass- great idea! Thanks for the inspiration.

    • denise on January 16, 2015 at 4:22 pm

      Thanks Morgan! Since the laundry room has no windows I thought it’d be a good way to let a little natural light in. Even though it was a long, drawn-out project I’m very happy with the results.

  2. Drew on April 30, 2015 at 10:10 am

    Great use out of an old door. The glass looks great!

Leave a Comment