Spring Cleaning

Say you have a bunch of old VHS tapes lying around, on which you’ve recorded various episodes of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel.

2008041002.jpg

Or a drawer full of empty CD jewel cases.

2008041001.jpg

A bunch of old Zip disks perhaps?

2008041003.jpg

How 1995 of you me.

All of this junk takes up a lot of space, recycling won’t take the jewel cases, and even though the information is old, there still may be personal information on the zip disks which I wouldn’t want to just toss in the trash.

Enter GreenDisk. For $6.95 per box plus the cost of shipping, you can get rid of 20 pounds of various types of TechnoTrash. If the box is heavier than 20 lbs., you pay an additional $.30 per pound, or you can purchase their Technotrash Can (starting at $29.95) which includes shipping costs.

Here is a complete list of what they will accept:

• All forms of electronic media and their cases: diskettes, zip disks, CDs, CD-Rs, CD-RWs, DVDs et al, video tape (i.e. VHS), audio tape, game cartridges, DAT, DLT, Beta or Digibeta, and virtually all other type of computer tapes.
  • Hard drives, Zip and Jazz drives, jump drives, etc.
  • All forms of printer cartridges including both inkjet and toner.
  • All types of cell phones, pagers, PDAs and their chargers, cables, and headset accessories
  • All types of rechargeable batteries (not regular alkaline ones) and their chargers
  • All of the cords, cables, boards, chips, etc. attached to or removed from a computer.
  • All of the small computer accessories such as MP3 players, iPods, digital cameras, hand-held scanners, handheld games and other connected devices. (Technotrash Can Only)
  • Laptop computers. (Technotrash Can Only)

Regarding the information contained on disks, tapes and such, according to their website:

When you recycle with GreenDisk all information on any of your electronic media is destroyed. Magnetic media (hard drives, floppy disks, Zip disks, computer or video tape, PDAs, cell phones) are degaussed (magnetically erased) to destroy every scrap of data. CDs, DVDs and similar plastic media are shredded. Then, for your records, we send you a certificate of destruction supported by an audit trail report that demonstrates compliance with regulatory requirements, company policies or just your own personal preferences.

While some people may scoff at having to pay anything since the company is making money off the precious metals and other material found in computer equipment, I’m happy to pay the nominal fee to get rid of it in an earth-friendly, responsible way after letting all this stuff accumulate in our house for years now.

Take my TechnoTrash, please!

1. Robin on April 10, 2008 at 9:18 pm

What?!? Buffy and Angel are classics you can’t get rid of them even if you do it in a green way. : ) My husband loves Sarah Michelle Gellar and we have all seven seasons of Buffy on DVD.

Love your blog by the way!

2. Joanne on April 10, 2008 at 10:34 pm

That’s a great tip–I actually have a box of Beta tapes (hello eighties) still kicking around.

3. denise on April 11, 2008 at 9:30 am

Robin: Oh, don’t you worry, I have all 7 seasons of Buffy on DVD as well! And I rent Angel from Netflix on occasion — they’re definitely classics (and along with Battlestar Galactica, among the best TV shows ever!).
    Joanne: all I can say is “wow” — that’s like having a bunch of 5-1/4″ floppy discs lying around! 🙂

4. Robin on April 12, 2008 at 11:58 am

Ha, ha! That’s my husband’s current favorite show. Now that season 4 is on we make time every Friday night to watch it together. : )

5. denise on April 12, 2008 at 1:27 pm

Robin, I must say your husband has impeccable taste! 🙂 We didn’t have the SciFi channel last year, so we finally caught up with season 3 and will be watching on Friday nights from here on out — exciting stuff!

6. 1916home.net on April 18, 2008 at 4:12 pm

But who’s watching the watchers? How do you really know what they will do with the stuff? Maybe thats why I dont trust the government either 🙂 In theory its an excellent idea.

Another website to recommend might be http://www.freecycle.org/ Sign up for your local area and get emails anytime people offer up stuff for free. Maybe someone is giving away a treadmill that still works? I found my air compressor on it for free. I easily saved $300. Its like craigslist but everything is free. Its always better to reuse than to toss in the trash, or even pay money to get rid of stuff. You can also post items you want to get rid of on FreeCycle. Check it out. Im coming across a lot of interesting items 🙂

7. denise on April 18, 2008 at 4:42 pm

Well you see 1916home.net, the Watchers had this Watchers’ Council…oh wait, you’re not talking about Buffy. Nevermind. 😉 I guess you can never be 100% certain when it comes to destroying your data, but GreenDisk does offer more information in their White Paper.
    And freecycle is a good idea too. I’ve never used it, and I’ve heard mixed reviews that there’s just a lot of crap to weed through to find the few good things (if you can be the first to claim it too). I guess it’s a much more refined way of dumpster diving, in a sense. But then if you’re giving stuff away, will the person who took your stuff simply throw it in the trash when they’re through with it? Sigh, it’s a never-ending cycle.