As Earth Month comes to a close, there are still plenty of things we’d like to do to reduce, reuse and recycle, such as:
- Replace showerhead and faucets with low-flow units
- Replace the toilet with a dual-flush, low-flow unit, like the Aquia from Toto or the selection from Caroma
- Finish replacing all lightbulbs with CFLs. Research shows that it doesn’t pay to hold onto incandescent bulbs until they burn out; it’s better to replace them now and discard. However we will keep incandescents in light sockets that are only used for a few minutes, like closets. CFLs are better for areas that are turned on for 15 minutes or longer
- Install a solar panel awning to provide some shade as we’re powering ourselves! I have no idea how much this would cost or if it’s even feasible, but I want to look into it
- Insulate attic with Bonded Logic insulation, made with recycled blue jeans, or with Soy foam insulation
- Use recycled materials when we remodel our kitchen, such as countertops from Paperstone, Richlite, or IceStone
Anybody have other green remodeling ideas they’d like to share?