Dining Room Update

Barely a week has gone by since I was pondering dining room table ideas. I said something about wanting to find “the perfect antique dining table”. Well, I must have put the Antique Dining Table Vibe out there, because not three days later we found it at an antique store in Michigan which specializes in Arts and Crafts/Mission style furniture.

I didn’t really have anything specific in mind as we were looking, but I always imagined something rectangular with square edges. It also couldn’t be ornate — not only because it’s not our style, but also because I don’t think it would work with the bungalow style.

So when the store owner showed us this table, I definitely liked its simplicity but I wasn’t sure about the rounded edges. 2008011802.jpgThe solid quarter-sawn oak was a plus, and the compact size would also work well with a room like ours which also serves as a passageway to the rest of the house.

I would say that the clincher for this table was the 6 self-storing leaves, located in that drop-down panel on the end. Closed, the table measures four feet. With all six leaves inserted, the table expands to 10 feet. That will seat a lot of people! And I have to say, as someone who is always bumping into table corners (with the bruises to prove it), I think the rounded edges will be great for a pass-through room.

This particular table was made around 1905. The manufacturer is the Robbins Table Co. of Owosso, Michigan (located directly between Grand Rapids and Flint). So definitely not a “name” in furniture, but we wouldn’t be able to afford a name either. According to the little history I found,

Established in 1873, the Robbins family manufactured dining extension tables and chairs. Today, the extension tables are prized by collectors.

The store will be delivering the table (for a very reasonable fee) in a couple weeks.

1. Carol on January 18, 2008 at 5:50 pm

Would you consider sharing the name/location of the antique store? It sounds like a great resource for bungalow owners. Your table looks great and I’m very jealous of the sheer number of leaves. We have a quartersawn oak round pedestal table in our Oak Park bungalow and it suits the house very well. It only has one leaf though…

2. Jan on January 18, 2008 at 6:00 pm

Also in Michigan, not too awfully far from Chicago, is a salvage place in Grass Lake Mi off of I 94. They have 3 warehouses full of doors, windows, trim, hardware, etc. It’s called Grand Illusion gallery. No furniture though.

Owosso was also home to the Woodard patio furniture company. I remember going to the Robbin’s furniture store with my mother in the 70’s. I always thought they just sold furniture, I didn’t know they also manufacutred it.

3. denise on January 21, 2008 at 3:05 pm

Carol—yes, I will probably share the name, but truth be told I’m also a little reluctant (yes, I want them all to myself!) I was going to talk to the store owner about it and let him know first, so stay tuned!
    Jan—thanks for the salvage info! Interesting about Owosso too. I’d never heard of the town before this. Apparently Robbins started out as Robbins Table Co. and later changed their name to Robbins Furniture Co.

4. joe on January 22, 2008 at 5:48 pm

my mother passed away last year and she had a table that was my grandfathers. i was told i was in a convent before they got it. i’m trying to find some info on it. i’m told it’s over a hundred years old. it was also made by the Robbins Table Co. and it has four maybe six leafs, not sure. has six chairs two with arms. this was one of the only sites that had anything on it about a table from Robbins Table Co. if you have any info please let me know…..

joe

5. Carol on January 22, 2008 at 9:38 pm

Thanks for thinking about sharing. I live in Oak Park, but am originally from Grand Rapids, where my parents still live. So I get back to MI a few times a year. And don’t worry, with my budget and three small kids at home, there’s not much I can buy right now.

6. denise on January 23, 2008 at 10:09 am

joe—my condolences on your mother’s passing. I’m afraid I don’t have much information; everything I found was from this site: http://www.shiawasseehistory.com/robbins.html
    But perhaps you could contact the city, county or library in Owosso and see if they have more info. Good luck!

7. Bungalow Monster on February 12, 2008 at 1:39 pm

Did you decide not to share the name & town of the antique store where you found your fabulous table? I am need of a large mission style dining room table. I love your find! If you ever decide to get rid of it, give me a shout! 🙂

8. denise on February 14, 2008 at 11:35 am

Bungalow Monster: yes, I will share the name as soon as the table is delivered (it was delayed because of snow)—should be in a couple days, so hold tight!

9. taptime1 on February 16, 2008 at 11:15 pm

I have what I hear is called an Owosso Table. It came out of an old burned down home in Portland MI. It has 2 leaves that go with it. With my table the end pulls out and the leaves rest on it. There are 4 chairs I got with it, one not in such good shape. I have been trying to get more information on my table and how much it is worth. Any ideas where to get some information on it.

10. denise on February 18, 2008 at 12:28 pm

taptime1: like I mentioned in an earlier comment, the only history I found was on this site: http://www.shiawasseehistory.com/robbins.html
    You may have better luck contacting the city, county, or library in Owosso for more information. Sorry I can’t help.

11. Susan on November 19, 2010 at 12:53 pm

My mom, and now my sis have a Robbins table, square, where the ends slide out and the leaves (4) swing up on a mechanism. It was my grandmothers anniversary present from grandpa and they lived in Lansing. They were married in 1900. Others in the family have always loved the table and would also like information about purchasing one. We will keep looking.

12. Janie Gall on April 2, 2014 at 1:29 pm

I am also interested in the name of the store that specializes in Mission style furniture. Could you please share the name of the store. Trying to find some chairs for my Robbins table.

• denise on April 2, 2014 at 2:34 pm

Hi Janie: I gave the name on a later post here. Good luck!

13. Janie Gall on April 2, 2014 at 3:32 pm