A blog about the restoration, remodel and renovation of a 1929 Chicago-style brick bungalow

So Where Were We?

We’ve just completed week four of our attic renovation (technically 3-1/2 weeks as they started the project mid-week), and the work has been humming along steadily.

The exterior work is essentially done and I’m really happy with the outcome.

Last Monday the windows were installed and they are beautiful.

The long-term plan for the front of the house is to replace the aluminum storm windows with wood storm windows. The current storm window frames are too wide and creep into the window space way too much. Wood storm windows would have a much smaller frame and would make the first floor windows look much bigger.

With wood storms, we wouldn’t be locked into using white as the accent color as we are right now, which is why I went with taupe (specifically, Cashmere) as the color for the upstairs windows. It matches the colors in the shingles.

The trim was installed using cedar 1x4s, which need to be stained. Unfortunately we didn’t have time to stain them before installation, so we’re going to have to figure out what to do about that — if we’re going to attempt to do it ourselves or hire someone. There’s not much to do, but roof work is scary to me, so unless I can feel really secure with it, we may have to hire out.

As far as the color goes, according to my research, using a dark color for the window trim can create a “picture frame” effect and cause the window to stick out like a sore thumb. I think it can look really great on frame houses, but for a bungalow like ours, a lighter window trim color definitely looks better. I’m thinking of using a stain color that will mimic the color of the limestone sills, window box brackets, and accents that you can see on the front of our house. It’ll be whitish, but not as stark as the gutters and soffits. My rationale is that it will help to transition from the dark brick colors to the stark white of the gutters and other trim. In a perfect world, I’d replace all the gutters and soffits with something other than white. That’s not going to happen anytime soon, so I have to work with what I have.

All-in-all I’m really happy with our choices, especially with our decision to clip the front and back gables and using roof shingles instead of siding on these two dormers.

Next post —— the shed dormer —— coming right up!

2 Comments

  1. southsideandy on June 13, 2009 at 6:14 pm

    Those windows are awesome. 🙂

  2. trudy on June 14, 2009 at 9:15 am

    I’m not sure about the lighter color on the window frames making them less obvious. I would think it would be the opposite. Here I look at the house and really see the windows. Maybe a little experimentation on the computer with trying a dark color.

Leave a Comment